Sunday, March 4, 2012

Veggie English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich

Good morning! Today I am excited to start making an old favorite. I used to eat these all the time when I was in graduate school. I decided to try one again today! So, as a vegetarian, I miss out on a lot of restaurant deliciousness (although it's not so sad since it's so much healthier at home anyway), including the egg mcmuffin. Now, if you're a vegan, this is not something you will want to try. I do eat eggs and other dairy, but I am sure most of my recipes are easy to veganize :)



So, let's get started.

Veggie Egg McMuffin
1 English Muffin
1 Veggie Sausage Patty (I prefer Morningstar)
3 T Egg Whites
Salt/ Pepper to Taste
Sprinkle of Cheese



So, I start out by making my eggs and sausage. Sometimes I make my sausage in the microwave, but it is probably better to get the fat out by making it via skillet. Anyway, heat up the pan using medium heat, pour the eggs into the skillet. Let them cook like normal scrambled eggs, for just a few minutes. I usually add the salt and pepper in right away. On occasion (aka, if I have it) I will throw in some fresh rosemary which is also delicious! As the egg cooks, I make sure my sausage is warming up. It basically just needs to be warmed all the way through and not frozen any longer.

While the egg and sausage are cooking, I toss the english muffin into the toaster and toast to my liking, which is a little brown on the edges. Once it comes out I sprinkle some cheese on it. Then put the warmed sausage on top to melt the cheese and the eggs on last since they take the longest to cook. Then the other side of the english muffin goes on top! If you are watching carbs, just use one half of the muffin. If you are watching fat, don't use cheese or find low fat/fat free cheese. Everything else is pretty low in fat and calories.

Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment