Thursday, July 26, 2012

Homemade Fluffy Pretzels

Ok, when I found this recipe, I was sooo excited!! I love giant pretzels. There is something about them that is just so tasty! I especially like them with mustard, so when a friend of ours brought us some spicy mustard from their vacation, I knew it was time to finally try it! Josh doesn't like mustard, since he is gone I thought this would be a good time to try them. Plus, if they didn't turn out he'd never have to know about my mishap :)

Before we get to the goods...don't forget! We have a giveaway from Kara's Knits going on, and it ends on Saturday!! So get check out my first ever giveaway here!!!

Alright, here's some carb goodness! Makes 4 pretzels! Original recipe was for eight. You can find it at Fifteen Spatulas.



Ingredients
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/8 tsp instant yeast (half of a packet)
1/2 cup warm water

1/4 cup warm water
1/2 Tbl baking soda
salt for sprinkling pretzels
cooking spray for baking sheet
butter for spreading

Directions
Mix together all of the dough ingredients (the first list) in a large bowl with a spoon. Then knead the dough for approximately two minutes by hand. You can use a stand mixer, but mine is packed away until we move into a house :( Anyway, the dough should be soft, but not sticky. Sprinkle it with flour lightly and place in a bag to rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Remove dough from bag and place on baking mat. Cut into four pieces and let rest for five minutes. While waiting, make the baking soda wash. Mix together the warm water and baking soda and mix until mostly dissolved.

Roll each piece of dough into long ropes and shape into a pretzel! If you need help with that, I didn't take step by step pictures because I had to hurry a bit (had to go to work) but the original post does a great job showing how to do it, so check that out for help!

Once you have your pretzels, dip them into the baking soda mixture and place on your sprayed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and bake for approximately 8-9 minutes. Keep an eye on them though because ovens can vary. When nice and brown, remove from oven and spread butter on top while they are still hot. YUM!

I enjoyed mine with the mustard, but they were amazing by themselves too!





Mandy‘s Recipe Box   

6 comments:

  1. I HEART soft pretzels! Can NOT wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My mom used to make soft pretzels for my siblings and I all the time growing up. I LOVE them! I'll have to try this recipe out and when I do, I'll be sure to feature them on my blog and refer back to you :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to make these. They look fantastic. I've never made pretzels but I love them enough to try!

    I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-and-smart-solutions_27.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. These pretzels look so good.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete