Saturday, April 7, 2012

Baked Oatmeal On-The-Go

I enjoy things that are simple. I like to make life easier on myself so that I can enjoy every moment, which is why I enjoy organization. I also enjoy planning ahead and preparation. So, when I stumbled upon a recipe which created baked oatmeal that was portioned out, I couldn't wait to try it! Having breakfast pre-baked would cut down on time in the morning before work, and just make life easier. I found this recipe on Pinterest and decided to try it out. (You can find the original recipe here: Sugar Free Mom) Now, I don't have a problem with any special diet, but I know GF is really important for a lot of people and I didn't use sugar in these either so it is a really great, healthy recipe. This is how mine turned out:


They may not look super pretty, but they did taste great! So, here is the recipe that I used, I believe it is tweaked a little from the original:

Ingredients
2 eggs
2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
5 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats
1 banana, mashed
2 3/4 cups milk (I used skim)
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
Optional toppings: coconut, butterscotch chips, maple syrup, chocolate chips


Directions
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While it is heating up mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and honey together in a bowl. Add in oats, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon and mix well with wet ingredients. Finally pour in milk and combine.


Spray a 12 and 6 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray or use cupcake liners ( I just sprayed the pan). Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups. If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.


Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags.
Now, I followed these directions, but I think I would add my toppings afterward. It seemed that mine got burnt while baking. The toppings I tried were butterscotch chips, coconut, maple syrup, brown sugar, and plain. I would also try some with dried fruit and nuts next time if I have it. Also, make sure to keep these stored in an air tight container in the fridge, or keep them frozen until you are ready to eat them. I found they were so moist that they were prone to molding, so just be careful. There are 143 calories in each if you yield 18 muffins! Not so bad, and since I like about 300 calories for breakfast, I sometimes grab two if I don't have time for fruit :) Plus, it does have banana in it so that counts, right? 

I also made a couple of big muffins just for fun. These are about twice as big as the regular ones, and my husband loved them! Also, his favorite flavor was when I added some butterscotch chips.(pictured below)

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment