Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Zucchini "Burgers"

Since I am a vegetarian, I often have to get a little creative so that I don't get bored. I really love meat substitutes like quorn and morningstar products, but those can get quite pricey. Plus, Aldi doesn't really sell those, and that is my grocery store of choice. There are quite a few things they don't sell, but I just try to stock up on those things once a month or so and just make one trip when I seem to be getting low on some of the items they don't have. Anyway, I am beginning to ramble, so let's get back on track with my "burgers."

A few months ago, my mother-in-law made us spinach burgers which were really yummy. I had never really tried making homemade burgers with vegetarian items before, but I braved the challenge this week! Since my husband likes zucchini and they are everywhere right now, what better burger base than a yummy veggie? I used mostly zucchini on this one with a little bit of potato since our potatoes need to get used up!


Ingredients
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup shredded red potatoes
salt to your taste
a pinch of flour
1 egg
garlic powder, salt, pepper, dried italian herbs to your liking
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 Tbl olive oil

Directions
Shred the zucchini and potato and place spread out in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let sit for at least 30 minutes to let the moisture release from the veggies. Once that process is over, using paper towel, squeeze remaining water from the veggies. Make sure you really squeeze, because even after I did this to mine, it still was watery in my mix and if it is too watery, you won't really be able to keep the patties together.

After that sprinkle with a little flour to help soak up some of the extra water. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the egg, cheese, seasoning and the veggies. Heat oil with a skillet on medium heat. Shape the mixture into patties and cook until browned on the outside. Then serve! I served mine with sweet potato chips and salad. YUM!



5 comments:

  1. Very nice, please link it up with me today at Wow Us Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will have to try those. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from the Family Home and Life link party. I am not vegetarian but I love zucchini! :) And as a grandma ( over at www.thehomespun.com ) trying to honor the parent's wishes that the children generally have mostly fruits and veggies here this recipe will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that a tip I read about coleslaw works well to remove excess fluids: After shredding/grating, add salt, mix well, then allow to drain in a colander or wire strainer. Squeeze, then continue with the recipe! YUM!! We often save those fluids for our piggy, and she loves them.

    ReplyDelete