Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Homemade Bath Scrubs

When I was in graduate school, myself and a few other students were really interested in self care. Since we were in a psychology program, we understood the importance of taking care of yourself in order to be a good clinician and preached that to our clients often to help in their treatment for themselves. So, we started a program on the first Friday of each month to help with self care. Each Friday we would have a different wellness event where students and faculty could participate and learn about different forms of taking care of yourself. We did lots of different seminars including self defense, aromatherapy, massages, and the like. One of my favorite weeks was all natural bath and face scrubs. We met in the middle of the day and made little containers full of bath scrubs and relaxing bath mixes. So, I thought I'd share my three favorite mixes that I made. We basically laid out everything imaginable to add to a scrub including epsom salt, lavendar sprigs, oils, oatmeal, fruit, dried flowers, etc. I don't have pictures, but don't let that fool you, they are wonderful! Hopefully, I will be able to make some soon and then I can add pictures!

California Citrus Bath (b/c I made it in California for the bath, creative, right?)

Grated orange, lime, and lemon peels
1 cup oatmeal
5 lavendar sprigs

Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. Plaice in an air tight container and store in a cool, dry area (or use immediately to relax). When you're ready, throw them in a hot bath and relax for 20 minutes. It feel wonderful!

Oatmeal Exfoliating Scrub

1/2 c milk
oatmeal to make a paste
1 tsp honey

Now this one is great because I have SUPER sensitive skin, so I hate using all the chemically stuff. This didn't break out my skin or make it dry, itchy, red, or any of the above. I loved it! Anyway, just combine the ingredients into a paste, apply to face, gently press into skin and release. Leave it on until it dries, and feels like it's cracking. Rub off gently with a warm washcloth. Wait for a glorious, clean feeling on your face!

Exfoliating Body Scrub

1 c oatmeal
1 handful rose petals
1/2 c honey
1/2 cup epsom slats
1 Tbl warm milk
essential oil of choice ( I chose lavendar)

Blend ingredients in a bowl. Gently massage the mixture all over body. Draw a bath and soak in the tub for 20 minutes, allowing the mixture to dissolve from the body into the bath. Rinse any extra off, then moisturize. Get ready to feel great and relaxed!!

Now, I like to use these and especially the bath mix, with a nice candle and dim lighting. It just makes the experience so much more relaxing and enjoyable. Remember, you can mix it up a little and add things you enjoy to the mix for your own personal touches!

No comments:

Post a Comment